I previously made a lamb leg using the same recipe/technique as below. It came out a bit dry, prompting me to try lamb shoulder (which has more fat).
The below recipe resulted in a lamb with 2 different textures: a crunchy outer crust and tender moist inner meat.
Recipe: Yogurt-Spiced Lamb Shoulder
- 2 tablespoons of garlic ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons garam masala mix
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- handful coriander leaves
- juice of 1 Lemon
- 250ml (1/2 pint) natural yogurt
- 1 tblspn salt
- 1 boneless lamb shoulder
- Put all ingredients in a bowl (except lamb shoulder) mix together
- Coat the lamb and leave for 6 hours or better overnight in a fridge
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking at 275-325 degrees.
- Add lamb leg to grill on indirect side and smoke until internal temperate reaches 185 degrees
- Lamb is done when a probe passes into it with the same resistance as butter. If not ready keep smoking. Mine was done at 185 degrees
- Remove from grill and wrap in aluminum foil for about 30-35 minutes.
- Carve up or pull meat and serve.
Leave a comment