Editor’s note: this recipe comes directly from Indonesia from halal pit master Yofa Yuandira Saefullah. Sundanese cuisine comes from the the Sundanese people of West Java, Indonesia. It is one of the most popular foods in Indonesia – characterized by freshness.
- 1 liter of rice (about 4 cups)
- 1 Spring onion (Chopped)
- 1 Lemongrass (Crushed)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Cayenne pepper
- 2 Shallot
- 2 Lime leaves
- 1 Habanero
- 1 Garlic
- 1/2 liter of coconut milk (about 2 cups)
- Salt (as your appetite)
- Little bit of oil (here i’m using coconut oil)
- First of all, wash the rice with clean water
- Put the rice on kastrol pan (or any pot) and fill with water
- Add coconut milk and oil
- Then enter the salt, bay leaves, lemongrass
- Stir well!
- Cook until slightly dry (about 15 minutes)
Once it is cooked, stir briefly.
- Then enter lime leaves, habanero, spring onion, shallot, garlic, and cayenne pepper. (as picture above)
- Let’s warm up one more time! (just 5 – 10 minutes)
The side dishes can be Tempe Mendoan (Tempeh), Sambel Goang, Ikan Asin (Salted Fish), Tofu. It’s better if served hot. You can also add crackers or somethin’.
This is typical of Sundanese Food, with an aromatic rice flavor. Most people like this dish because it’s simple and delicious.