In my quest to minimize consumption of processed foods that contain added nitrates and preservatives, I discovered making smoked deli beef at home. It is possibly one of the easiest things you can do, even for people who are new to smoking. It takes minimal preparation and has relatively quick cooking times. The end result is delicious, tender deli thin slices of smoked beef.
- Eye of Round – 5lb. (Size can depend on what cut your butcher has)
- Seasoning – I used a rib rub that I had made a while back, containing brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder. I then topped off with a layer of KQ2. You can use any combination of seasoning and can’t go wrong with a simple, salt, pepper, garlic powder with some rosemary.
- Coat the eye of round and dry brine overnight.
- Set up grill to 350 for an indirect cook.
- I used one small post oak lump for the smoke flavor.
- Cook until internal temp reaches 125 for rare, 130 for medium. I pulled it out at around 127. This took exactly 1 hour and 26 mins (a lot quicker than briskets, with no stall!)
- I then removed one side of the heat deflector and seared all sides of the meat for a couple of minutes to give it a nice crust.
- I then let it rest for about 30 mins and then set about slicing the meat.
- I prepped the meat slicer, if you don’t have one you can use a very sharp knife to slice as thin as possible. The thinner you slice the more tender the beef will be.
Cold cuts should generally be consumed within a week.
- Ciabatta bread
- Provolone sliced cheese
- Jalapeño Haverti sliced cheese
- Onion/Garlic sauce (ingredients and method below)
Ingredients for Onion/Garlic sauce:
- 1 sweet yellow onion
- 7-8 small garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 2 table spoons – White Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dice a large sweet yellow onion and mince a few garlic cloves.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic and chili pepper to a skillet, cook for a few minutes.
- Add white vinegar and simmer until liquid is evaporated and onions are caramelized.
- Combine mayonnaise, onion and garlic mixture, dijon mustard
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Leave a comment