I previously made a very simple Piri Piri Chicken by marinating cubed chicken with bottled Nando’s Piri Piri sauce. It came out nicely, but my wife pointed out that the flavor could be elevated by adding a few ingredients.
I was introduced to Korean Hot Pepper Paste during our 2018 poultry competition: the third place winner used it in making Korean “Thunder” Chicken. It has a nice flavor that pairs well with Piri Piri.
In addition to adding a few new ingredients, I also reserved some of the marinade and used it to baste the chicken while grilling.
The below recipe was delicious. I’ll keep tinkering, though, with the ingredients to push the flavor profile. Please feel free to offer tips/suggestions in the comments section below.
Piri Piri Chicken with Korean Hot Pepper Paste Recipe.
- Nando’s Peri Peri Sauce 4.7 oz bottle
- 2-3 lb chicken breast cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon tablespoon Korean Hot Pepper Paste (gochujang)
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Mix together Nando’s Peri Peri sauce, Korean Hot Pepper Paste, sweet paprika, and brown sugar. Reserve a few tablespoons for basting.
- Marinade the chicken in the mixture for at least 1 hour, as long as 24 hours.
- Prepare grill for direct grilling at about 400 degrees or even higher. For meat that cooks quickly, I often keep the lid off, keeping the temperature high and getting a good sear.
- Skewer the chicken. If using wood skewers, make sure to soak in water for several hours so they don’t burn on the grill
- Add chicken to grill, and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side. Baste with reserved marinade while cooking.