Peri Peri Chicken Skewers.
The term "Peri Peri" (also known as "Piri Piri" or "Pili Pili") refers to the bird's eye chili, a type of capsicum chili. The Portuguese combined the chili with oil, lemon, and red bell peppers to create Peri Peri Sauce. The sauce - used as seasoning or marinade - spread to several countries in the southern part of the African continent (including South Africa).
From South Africa, the restaurant Nando's Peri Peri Chicken helped popularize the sauce. Several of my fellow halal pitmasters used Nando's bottled hot sauce to marinade chicken, and I was able to find it at World Market.
The below recipe was quick and easy. The bottled sauce makes a tasty, well-balanced marinade.
Peri Peri Chicken Skewers Recipe
- Nando's Peri Peri Hot Sauce
- 2-3 lb chicken breast cubedNando's Peri Peri Hot Sauce
- Marinade the chicken in the Peri Peri Hot Sauce for at least 1 hour, as long as 24 hours.
- Prepare grill for direct grilling at about 500 degrees or even higher. For meat that cooks quickly, I often keep the lid off, keeping the temperature high and getting a good sear.
- Skewer the chicken. If using wood skewers, make sure to soak in water for several hours so they don't burn on the grill
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side.Peri Peri Chicken Skewers on grill. Cooked over direct heat with the grill's lid off.Peri Peri Chicken Skewers
Leave a comment